Veggie Tofu Bowl
I just wanted to eat a one dish meal. So, I prepared this veggie dish which combines cooked and raw ingredients. While I served this meal in a bowl, my husband layered his ingredients on a plate and being from Florida, always wants some gravy on his rice. Well, no gravy today but there was a delicious Soy Ginger sauce he could use.
Author: Darrilyn Vassar-Jackson
- 1 15oz container extra firm tofu
- 1-1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 2 TBSP grated ginger root
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 TBSP honey
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
- 2TBSP water
- 2 TBSP reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning Salute or non sodium seasoning blend
- 1 tsp parsley (can use thyme or cilantro)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 cups cooked Basmati brown rice
- Soy Ginger Sauce:
- 2-1/2 TBSP reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 TBSP honey
- ½ TBSP sesame oil
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Whisk together in a bowl.
- Drain tofu and pat dry with paper towel.
- Place on a plate, slice crossways into 8 slabs then slice in half.
- Marinate with soy sauce and sprinkle slices with seasoning blend and paprika.
- In a sauce pan, heat coconut oil, brown minced garlic, add cup of uncooked basmati rice, 1-1/2 cups water, pinch of sea salt and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook covered for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat when done, remove bay leaf and stir in parsley or cilantro.
- In separate bowls, place shredded carrots and cabbage.
- Mix lemon juice, honey, and ginger root.
- Distribute evenly over carrots and cabbage.
- Place each bowl in refrigerator until ready to assemble dish.
- In a skillet, over medium heat, sauté onions and peppers, separately for a few minutes.
- Set each aside.
- In same oil, pan fry tofu slices until brown, turn over once and remove.
- Add broccoli florets and water to skillet.
- Cover and steam broccoli for 3 minutes.
- Arrange each ingredient in a large soup or pasta bowl and drizzle Soy Ginger sauce over the tofu.
Tofu is tasteless and absorbs whatever flavor you add to it. For best results, marinate for 20 minutes or you can do this over night. Cook the rice and prepare other ingredients as indicated above. I have become more conscious of added salt. Be bold in experimenting with your favorite flavorings. In this recipe, I use three different oils, because I like the flavors they impart. Always sample while cooking and season to taste.
Serving size: 1 Calories: 708 Fat: 8 Saturated fat: 6 Unsaturated fat: 6 Trans fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 93g Sugar: 18g Sodium: 31g Fiber: 11g Protein: 27g Cholesterol: 0
Sources: Trader Joe’s