What's For Dinner? Baked Eggplant Please
“What’s for dinner?” my daughter who is 7 months pregnant and frequently ravenous, texted. Her family recently moved less than a mile from me and I couldn’t be happier. “What do you want?,” I replied. “Baked eggplant.” Well I didn’t have an eggplant in sight, however I was planning a trip to the Farmer’s Market. When I got there, I made a beeline for the fresh produce and picked up eggplant, zucchini and fresh corn. All the while, I was figuring out what I would make. Do you ever go to the refrigerator and stand there thinking about what you have, what you can put together and what you have a taste for? By the time, I arrived home, I had figured it out. My daughter’s family usually eats by 6pm and it was 4:45pm. So, I pretended that I was on Chopped with an extra 30 minutes to spare. No time to waste!
Author: Darrilyn Vassar-Jackson
- 1 large eggplant, sliced in rounds
- Olive Oil (Spray is great. I was out so I coated eggplant using a teaspoon or so)
- 1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh basil, chopped
- ¾ cup panko bread crumbs
- 3 T nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Heat oven to 375°.
- Chop the veggies for the sauce.
- Wash and peel eggplant. Slice into rounds (this eggplant yielded 18). Sprinkle with salt.
- Oil a shallow baking pan. I used two. Spray eggplant with olive oil and place in the oven for 20 To prepare sauce, in a large skillet, over medium heat, sauté garlic in olive oil for a minute, add onion, peppers and the tomatoes.
- Drain and rinse the beans, add to skillet, along with Italian seasoning and a pinch of salt. I had a half cup of marinara sauce that I also added to mixture.
- Cover, reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes. Check periodically and taste for seasoning. Mix When eggplant has baked, remove from oven. Layer eggplant in a casserole pan, cover with the sauce, sprinkle fresh basil, then add the topping.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes.
Tip: Cutting veggies prior to meal preparation and storing in containers makes for earlier eating.
I like spicy food, however keeping my 2 year old grandson and daughter in mind, I only used a smidgeon of pepper. And where are the pictures, you may ask? When the casserole was ¾ gone, we thought about it. The meal included sauté kohlrabi greens(they taste like collards) and corn on the cob. Oh, we ate at 6:15pm.