A few weeks ago, I was gifted by my friend, Sharon, with a box of pears from Harry & David. It’s been years since I had a fruit of the month selection and eagerly looked forward to eating them. So excited was I, that before reading any of the papers enclosed, I removed the pears from the box and placed them in my fruit bowl. Only when discarding the box, did I see that there were instructions for ripening the fruit, along with a recipe. That is when I carefully returned the pears to their shipping container and made plans to prepare the delicious sounding pear salad as part of dinner during the holidays.
Well, let me tell you, in a few days those Riviera* pears were so sweet and juicy. The salad was a hit with everyone from my 3 year old grandson to my 89 year old mother. I followed the recipe pretty much to the letter. I did reduce the amount of blue cheese and toasted the walnuts myself. Of course, if you want to keep it vegan, just don’t use the cheese. The salad will still taste great. As for the pears, use the ripened green or yellow ones if you don’t have a friend like Sharon.
- Dressing Ingredients:
- ½ cup Champagne vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp honey
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- ¾ cup walnut oil
- Salad Ingredients
- 1 head butter or other lettuce, washed and dried (I used romaine)
- 2 Royal Riviera* Pears, peeled, cored and sliced
- ⅔ cup blue cheese
- ⅔ cup candied nuts or toasted walnuts
- To create dressing, whisk together the first five ingredients. Gradually whisk in the walnut oil. Gently tear lettuce into bite-sized pieces. Arrange on four chilled plates. Place fans of pear slices on lettuce. Crumble blue cheese evenly on top. Drizzle dressing generously over the salad. Sprinkle with nuts and serve at once. Serves 4.
Resources: Harry & David, Safeway